The i in iSensor refers to intelligence. The mission of the iSensor Lab is to discover nuances that support the global and societal commonwealth, particularly concerning cybersecurity, privacy and ethics in cyberspace. iSensor Analytics focuses on sociotechnical systems research in the areas of interpersonal as well as collective trusted human computer interaction and information behavioral factors that impact the stability of society. Adopting social science theories grounded in psychology and communication, iSensor Analytics builds inference engines—based on psychological and physiological features—that detect non-explicit human intent and psychological motivation. Areas of research include:
- Detection of computer-mediated deception such as disinformation and synthetic “deepfake” technologies that influence and distort public opinion
- Cyber forensics investigation of evidence of fraud and insider threat that is created during cloud interaction
- “Hotspot” identification for cyber-bulling or hate speech that impacts freedom of speech
Patient & Copyright
Shuyuan currently holds a US patent and a copyrighted invention.
- US-17/162,468 patent on systems and methods for detecting deception in computer-mediated communication,
- Copyrighted invention (TechID 21-003) on CV19 Self Defense mHealth intervention that helps mobile phone users with situational awareness during a pandemic.
Shuyuan has received several grants and awards as a cybersecurity researcher and professional.
- U.S. Air Force STTR Phase I (AF21A-TCSO1-0185, FA864921P1396) sub-award: Project Aletheia: A Gamified Truth Disclosure Platform, $50,000, 5/1/21-7/31/21. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Florida State University Collaborative Collision Seed Award (CC-045704): Achieving Economic Normality and Public Health via Deep Learning Modeling and Contact Tracing, $19,519.50, 5/11/20-8/18/20. Role: Co–Principal Investigator.
- Florida State University (ITS-181006): Technology Expansion for the Next Generation of Cyber ProfessioNOLES, $37,861, 03/01/19-02/28/20. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Florida Center for Cybersecurity (FC2-3910-1007-00-B): Capture-the-Flag (CTF) Scenario-based Cybersecurity Exercises Development, $50,000, 07/01/18-06/30/20. Role: Principal Investigator. The instructional materials for these scenario-based CTF exercises can be downloaded here.
- The Blavatnik Interdisciplinary Cyber Research Center (ICRC) at Tel Aviv University, A machine learning collaborative study of language-action cues in deceptive communication, $79,826 (equivalent to $NIS312,000), 01/01/16-12/15/16. Activity report. Role: Co-Principal Investigator.
- National Science Foundation (ICORPS-1505195), I-CORPS: Market impact identification of dyadic attribution model for disposition assessment using online games, $50,000, 12/15/14-12/31/16. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Florida Center for Cybersecurity (FC2-2108-1072-00-O): A Sociotechnical Approach to Lawful Interception and Computational Assessment of Information Behavior to Protect against Insider Threat, $25,000, 03/01/15-10/31/16. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Florida State University (ITS-181006): Development and implementation of cybersecurity virtual lab, $21,035, 03/01/15-02/28/16. Role: Principal Investigator.
- National Science Foundation (SaTC-1347113/Ho and 1347120/Hancock), EAGER: Collaborative: Language-action causal graphs for trustworthiness attribution in computer-mediated communication, $199,998, 09/01/13-08/31/15. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Florida State University Planning Grant (PG) Award, $13,000, 12/01/13-11/30/14. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Florida State University First Year Assistant Professor (FYAP) Award, $20,000, 05/10/12-08/06/13. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Drexel University Research and Scholarship Incentive Grants (R-SIG), $5,000, 2010-2012. Role: Principal Investigator.
- (ISC)2 Scholarship, $25,000, 2004-2006. Role: Scholarship Awardee.
- R.O.C. Ministry of National Defense 3-Year Award on VPN, CA, Firewall & Policy Management Technology Transfer, $1M, 1999-2003, ($303,000, 1999-2000 1st year). Role: Technology Director.